Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dad's Perspective

Hi, this is Kyle. It's about time I added my thoughts to the blog, for better or worse. Obviously, the whole pregnancy thing is unlike any other experience. I am constantly learning new things, and fighting the temptation to feel overwhelmed with it all. The fact that Babies R Us sells 16 different brands and styles of baby bottles doesn't help. Anyway, I thought it would be funny to post some of my own thoughts and experiences along the way.

  • I noticed that the box our crib came in made it very clear that this crib required "Adult Assembly Only". I guess they have to say that for liability, but seriously? Who, other than an adult, would make sport of assembling that thing? I guess the funniest thought for me was picturing our baby in a onesie mechanics outfit with a phillips-head in one hand and a greasy rag in the other, putting his own bed together as the first act of earning his keep in the York house. But, alas, I assembled it myself, as any responsible adult would. I think we should let Scooter sleep in there for a few nights to ensure that I assembled it correctly. Jennifer's not so sure.
  • The piece of advice we receive more than any other, by far, is a very monotone variation of, "Well, your life is sure going to change forever." Is that even advice? It sounds more like a threat. I try to respond as sarcastically as possible, usually with a statement about how we already have a dog and therefore we know the drill. I understand the sentiment that people are trying to get across, but I thought the whole point of having a child was so that your life would change forever! That's the thing we are looking forward to most. Note: I'm sure my sarcasm meter will be off the charts about 2 weeks after the baby comes, when in a sleepless state I begin offering that same cynical advice to pregnant couples around me. 
  • It's been a lot of fun lately, as our boy has become more active, to feel Jennifer's tummy and try to distinguish if the thing pushing against her is his head or his bottom. Hopefully, after he is born, we won't have as much trouble figuring out which is which.
  • I've purchased three "becoming a dad" books, and I'm still not sure how helpful they are. One of the main points in all three is how expensive babies are, and how you shouldn't be stingy when it's in the best interest of the baby. But I've spent all my money on books! Shouldn't the book have a disclaimer on the cover that reads: "The cost of this book would be better spent on diapers. People raised babies just fine for centuries without a new-age book telling them what to do." 
  • I realize that advancements in technology and retail variety are good things, but shopping for baby stuff is exhausting. There's too much stuff! It's weird for me to consider that Mary and Joseph cared for baby Jesus with not one single thing found at Babies R Us. How did they manage? I do, however, love the idea of the BabyBjorn things. Holding my son like a kangaroo is something I look forward to very much.
Don't worry, Jennifer will be back to posting again soon, and with pictures of me putting that crib together! Sadly, my mechanic onesie was in the wash at the time. 

If you wish to comment, how about telling us the worst advice you got while you were pregnant?

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment