Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Update from Dad

I am writing this post from Mason's nursery. More and more, I find myself wandering in here just to look around. Today I am sitting in the glider while I drink my morning coffee.

Jennifer and I have been praying together in the nursery, and visualizing Mason in his crib, on his changing pad, and in his little lamb swing. It is all becoming real to us as the countdown to his arrival reaches its final few weeks. Our doctor visits are now weekly, we are washing all his little outfits, charging up our cameras, and preparing our suitcase for the big day.

Today will mark my first attempt at car seat installation. I told Jennifer that I prefer the trial-and-error method with this. I'd rather do it myself and then have the guys at the fire station correct me than just drive up there and frantically toss it at them like a hand grenade. Either way, it seems better than pulling up to the hospital doors in a few weeks and aimlessly buckling straps together while Jennifer and newborn Mason stare at me impatiently from a wheelchair. 

Lately I've been reading up on the process of birth, and getting advice on how to handle things. One of the first points the book made was for dads not to make fun of your wife during labor and delivery. Wow, is that really a problem? I've said some insensitive things in the name of comedy, but the thought of me ruining the sacredness of birth (and being pelted with tomatoes by the nursing staff) makes this a non-issue. I also have no intention of smoking an It's a Boy cigar in the delivery room, or inviting in my buddies to catch the final minutes of a basketball game.

I did read one thing that I can't get over: that my baby will immediately recognize and respond to my voice when he is born. Wow. It makes me all the more eager to meet him, and to hold in in my hands for the first time. I'm a little concerned that my tears are going to short-out the keyboard, so I will finish this post by saying a HUGE thank you to our family and friends who have supported us (and purchased for us) recently. We've now got so much great stuff, and have received more love and kindness than we could have imagined. Thank you!!

Kyle

1 comment:

  1. You're already a great dad! I truly believe after y'all meet him you will realize your life is complete.

    ReplyDelete